This Month Recommendation

Friday, February 5, 2010

Combining Yoga With Dance..And Then Story

Yoga and dance can be a perfect match to each other. I believe for those with dance background, definitely they can perform well too in yoga. As both also involving the flexibility of the muscle, strenght on the core and activating core muscles movement and coordination. Well, it has been in my thought for quite sometime that I want to combine yoga with dance element. But this definitely required much much creativity and innovation, you have to know how to create, combine and integrate both together well enough and overall it create a smooth flow/prana between these two.

I really inspired by Shiva Rea method of combining yoga, prana flow and dance elements together. She has managed to do it creative enough that leads to creating something totally new out of the box. Her trance dance, fluid power are all based on the natural flow of prana in our body. It's an instinct for us to move by following our own prana. If you are aware enough and look inside of your innerself, you will find that energy flow.

Besides dance element, it will bring yoga to the next stage if we can combine story in it. Recently I have written a poem about one's seeding stage, and along the way I tried to think of what are the suitable asanas that I can put down together with the story. And It makes the story become 'Alive' and 'Living'. Perhaps if just yoga by itself, it sounds too dry. But when you combine music, dance ryhthm and story into it, it becomes 'alive' just like a theatre play.

I remember I read from The Tree Of Yoga (Shambhala Classics), the author B. K. S. Iyengar at the end of the book mentioned about teaching yoga innovatively. It inspired me to come to the idea of combing yoga, dance & story together.

Powered by ScribeFire.


No comments:

Post a Comment