This Month Recommendation

Friday, January 16, 2009

When We Talk About Moderation In Yoga

Yesterday while I waiting for the traffic turn to green light on my way home, I managed to read through a short interview article from Yoga Journal Jan/Feb magazine issue that I subscribed monthly. It's about Bikram(Hot) Yoga founder, Bikram Choudhur. The writer has asked about his view of life, bikram yoga and his living style. I was inspired by some of his saying :

  • We can make this world heaven if all the childs learn yoga
  • You know why so many people hate each other ? No self-Realization ! (quite straight to the point)
(quoted from Yoga Journal Jan/Feb, yj intervew section by Diana Anderson)

Surprisingly although he is a yogi but he is living in luxurious, wearing branded watch worth $50 k in USD, driving B
entleys and 35 Rolls-Royces and staying in Beverly Hills in United State ! I was puzzled.

So i google from the internet and found another interview article on him.
I guess you should read it if you are a yogi or practising yoga. Go & have a read ! I am sure you will amuze by the way he answered each every questions threw by the interviewer. Some might feel not comfortable at all with his reply. But let respect each individual right to express his own thoughts and don't ever feel offense by his saying.

Well, I guess even though yoga do have code of life, Yamas & Niyamas(from Pantajali Eight Fold Path), but it will be up to the individual to adapt it to his/her life. Nothing is fix or must obey, and if it is then it become rules that must follow. But yoga is definitely not law nor rules.

I think
Bikram Choudhur is smart enough to play around the 'rules' of karma yoga, since he is teaching people looking after their health through bikram yoga and I believe many people do have benefit from his teaching. So he just enjoying the fruits of his deed or good doing. That's karma.

"
I take care of people like I am their own father and
mother. That's a key to my success. I take care of people, and they
take care of me. That's yoga. "


I myself not quite agree with some his teaching and philosophy, it is just too open. When you assimilate 'East' and 'West' teaching in this way, that's the result that we see from him. Not acceptable for me at all.

But some of his philosophy or saying really impressed me (of course those inspired one). And definitely can give me some insight into my future path. Namaste !


No comments:

Post a Comment