This Month Recommendation

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Forest School Concept


I came across an article on a magazine I bought from Hong Kong. It highlighted one of the school in sweden is using forest school concept for early child education. I was amused and totally impressed by the concept and article information. I guess most countries in europe are lucky enough to be blessed with a rich land full of abundant forest trees and variety. The 4 seasons weather conditions also contributed to the beautiful landscape and resourceful woodland. The article includes some pictures as well. There are kids that working together to build some structure;some squatting down, observing leaves, ants, soil, wriggling worms; though their cloths are pretty much full of mud or dirts, but you can see them with wide smile & content. Such a content smile that I think it's purest gift from God and truely from their heart.

Later I found out that the concept is originated from Sweden itself and has been implemented since 1950 , after a few stages of trial being conducted and the benefits are proven to be effective in improving early child social, health, communication and mental skills. I always believe that nature is our best teacher. This concept is fully supporting this. Well I might not be in the right position to truely explore the concept and introduce it in Malaysia, but I think it is possible to do so.

Here are some very usefull resources on forest school concept:

Forest Education Initiative (FEI)
UK Forest School
Forest School Resources

I know I will need it someday..



No comments:

Post a Comment