This Month Recommendation

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Supported Handstand

Finally I managed to perform the handstand without the wall support. It was such a great achievement to me and I feel totally amazed by the body and the energy flow.

It was Saturday afternoon when I was in the yoga center. I accompanied my niece to the center for astrology reading offered by my yoga teacher. She asked me before during my usual yoga class what I am going to do while waiting for my niece in the course. So I said it should be fine for me to hang around in the near by area or do some reading in my car.

So she offered to open the yoga center for me to practice yoga or sleep or do whatever I want in there. So me in the yoga center by myself. Of course I was ready with all my yoga gear. It's not easy for me to find time for yoga practice at home recently. So I just grabbed this golden oppoturnity to do yoga by myself, alone in the center.

It was a great feeling in there. So I started with 15 minutes of meditation sitting on the mat. At first it was quite difficult for me to settle down but after about few minutes, then i slowly settle my breath & my eye lids became more relax. I can feel my pelvis floor dropped and in relaxed position. After that I performed few sets of sun salutation, then triangle pose, warrior I & II. I managed to do the pigeon pose as well but still leg split seems not possible yet as my pelvic & thigh still not flexible enough. But I know time will come when I can do it.

Then I thought of why not try on  the handstand pose. So I moved the mat near to the wall and started with dolphin pose for a while. After that I raised up my knee and toes. The 1st attempt seemed not working. So I tried to contract my tummy and tuck in my tail bone then raised up the leg slowly. At the same I relaxed my neck my looking forward upside down. Then here I was just supported by the strength from arm and head, I am able to lift up the legs. Then I raised up the legs slowly since afraid of losing balance from the arm & head.  My mind keep wondering when can my leg reached the wall. I don't feel any pressure at all on the legs or any tighness on the pelvic or other parts of the body. Then finally i reached the wall, meaning I was able to keep my legs straight up.

I think the shoulder stand helps a lot before I performed the handstand pose. It helps to open up the pelvic and build up a balance strength around tummy, hips & thighs.

But i just need to get the right hold of it then I am sure I can do it again and again. The clue is practise more !

Namaste !


No comments:

Post a Comment